Tuesday, March 6, 2012

How Karate Has Affected Me

Karate training has constantly kept me busy and out of trouble. I have learned more techniques, movements, katas, and ways to fight than most people. During the summer, while kids are riding bikes or wasting time playing video games, I’m in the dojo learning karate or at tournaments earning metals and respect; but at the same time learning new things. I think karate has made me more aware of my surroundings and have more respect for things and people. Karate teaches you discipline, respect, and hard work; and that’s starting to rub off on me. When learning Kata (pre-arranged movements in a formal exercise), I’m learning ancient things way older than me and my Karateka (fellow karate students). Doing karate has kept me healthy and in good physical form. I’ve been to many places places, ate different foods, and explored cultures and languages of the places we go. Karate teaches me a second language, Japanese. I love Shotokan because of the way we move, the katas, and Kobudo. Kobudo (weapons) would have to be my favorite because of all the different weapons I can use. I use the Bo/staff more because it’s a great fit for me and it flows better to me. Shotokan Karate-Do has taught me so much, I’m still learning, and I’m far from done.


Bruce Joseph E., Ni Kyu
Corpus Christi Downtown Karate

No comments:

Post a Comment